Nature Teaches Us To Find Our Light Through the Darkness
"All the buried seeds crack open in the dark the instant they surrender to a process they can’t see."
- Mark Nepo -
Nature is such a powerful teacher. Spring, especially, is such a gift in this way, a reminder to wake up. All winter we are in a sort of hibernation, tucked away just waiting to burst back to life. All around us, everything small and buried surrenders to a process that none of the buried parts can see.
It is almost certain that all of us are working on something within ourselves. Maybe something we have known about for many years but quietly ignored. Or a blatant, in our face, experience that we are oh so aware of at all times. Either way, it is human nature to grow and evolve.
They say that through the dark there is light. What if the light and the dark live together? What if you could love them both and trust the darkness is doing its job and you just need to surrender? To let go and crack open. What if the most beautiful part of you is waiting to emerge but needs the dark of the night to grow strong enough to burst into bloom?
What I am trying to say is, maybe we just need to trust the process, that maybe we can embrace the dark and try to let go of the tight grip we may have on trying to control an outcome or a situation. Trust that your higher self is looking out for you, that the universe does have your back, and love is the answer. Always find that love for yourself.
Even in the darkest moments or when dancing in the light, we can always find this love within ourselves. In nature, we are quietly given countless models of how to give ourselves over to what appears dark and hopeless, but which ultimately is an awakening that is beyond all imagining.
Here is a brief meditation to check in with your heart, providing space for whatever shadows need to come to the surface.
- Sit quietly for a moment, focusing on your breath - breathing slowly and deeply several times. Focus on your breath in this way until you feel a slight pang, fluttering, or something off-balance in your heart, mind or body.
- Focus on this feeling, thought or sensation, even though it may feel uncomfortable. Just sit with it, without judgment, simply observing. Something here is trying to tell you something. You don't need to try to make sense of it. Just let that energy flow. As you do this, allow your breath to flow naturally.
- Then place your hand on your heart and inhale deeply.
- On the exhale tell yourself that “I am here. I am listening.”
- Even if you do not know exactly what it is saying, the slightest connection to your heart is a huge act of self love.
Leave a commentPlease log in or register to post a comment